Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:13:02 +0500
Jon writes:

> The only scenario I can imagine is: cylinders
>intake in 1-3-4-2 order, let's imagine that the forward carb is plugged and
>the back one is spitting out mostly gas.  This fouls 3&4, then 2 draws across
>the bypass tube and gets just enough gas to run, but there is none left for
>#1?

Needless to say I don't have any brilliant insights into this perplexing
situation.  I am still stuck on one point that dates back to the beginning:
I appreciate your arguements that the car is running on #2 alone (engine
dies when #2 wire is pulled, no change when any other wire is pulled).  But
I'm intriged by the dry-ness of the #1 plug.  My confusion is: can the
engine (with reasonable compression on all four cylinders) really run
(albeit rough) on only one cylinder?  I'm surprised at that (though, not
because of my vast experience on the matter).  Any comments from list
members?  I'm just wondering if an assumption being made here is false.

Jon: have you checked the carbs... do the pistions rise freely?  Is the
throat set reasonably well?  Has a needle been bent or dropped out of the
piston?  Carburation is about all that's left...

Please keep us updated on your progress.  I'm very interested in this puzzle.

Will Zehring