Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)

To: mgs@autox.team.net, swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:52:05 -0400
> What is the best thing I can do with these carburetors of unknown pedigree?
> Should I attempt to clean them?  How?  Rebuild them myself?

Jon,

I rebuilt the SU's on my 67 BGT that I got from the PO in not running
condition. They were HS4's with the AUD135 tag. I used a kit from Lucas
and put in Grose Jets. They were very easy to rebuild. I have rebuilt
Rochester two and four barrel carbs so that helped a little. I could
not get the needle out of the piston so rather than break it I left it
alone for now. When I reinstalled the carbs (after refurbing the points
on the fuel pump) I put in some gas sprayed a little ether and voila
after 10+ years storage in the PO barn it started.

(IMHO) Most carburettors need only a thorough cleaning and replacement
of parts available from the rebuild kits. If a part is staked in place
or it looks like you need a machine shop to replace it leave it alone
chances are it is just a bad gasket, or a deteriorated valve that is
the problem so fix those.

A common problem with well used SU's is the throttle shaft bushings
wear causing a vacuum leak big enough so they can not be balanced. You can put
a little grease on them to plug the leak temporarily to see if it is a problem.

Did you try a little ether, (starting fluid) BE CAREFUL!, sprayed in the carbs
while trying to start it to see if the problem is indeed fuel?

Comments Welcome!

- -Mark      = =o&o