re: ! Cylinder MGB

To: SWANSON@ZONKER.ECS.UMASS.EDU, MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: ! Cylinder MGB
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 11:45:00 -0500 (EST)
       Hi Jon,
            Hmmmmm.... Dry #1 plug, but since #2's firing, the front carb is
       delivering gas. Rear is delivering gas, obviously. I have to agree
       with Lew Palmer, that this is an ignition problem.

            Try this: When it is running, take off one of the non-running
       plug leads at the spark plug end. hold it close to ground (you may
       want to use a pair of insulated pliers, or plug wire pullers). Do you
       see a spark? If so, you have ignition. If not, your problem is the
       plug wire or before. If they spark, especially #3 & #4, which are
       soaked, then the plugs are saturated, get yourself a new set of N9Y's
       for all of 6 bucks. Also, when the rotor is pointed to #1 position,
       are any valves open? Take off the rocker cover to verify (costs you
       another $1.50 gasket!). Hate to ask.......do you have the distributor
       rotation correct re: firing order? The distributor rotates counter
       clockwise. I don't mean to make this negative by asking this. I know
       I'VE done this one! On my fathers brand new 1969 Ford!

            Carbs: A stock '73 has HIF carbs, no external float bowl is the
       give-away here. Swapping to earlier HF's, external float, is not
       uncommon. They're no big deal to rebuild, unless the bushings are
       worn, but carbs and I do not get along. I think I was conked off the
       head with a Stromberg 97 as a baby, but I digress. I send mine out to
       John Twist, University Motors. Not Cheap. Beautiful Work. Are all the
       lines for the carbs there? Since the DPO put in an "improved"
       aftermarket pump, I'd be suspicious of ANY DPO "modifications". Have
       you done the rubber hose test? No! No! Not beating yourself with one
       (just yet, anyway!), stick one end in your ear (really!), and the
       other in the throat of each carb, you should hear identical, er,
       sucking sounds. If not, the carbs are out of balance. I'm wondering if
       the pump was connected to the rear carb & is not getting enough to the
       front, that's why I asked about the hoses.

            Hope this has been of some help, let us know how you make out!

       Colin             WA1KWA

       bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu

       74 MGB
       73 BMW 3.0s