Re: Carbs, problems, running on empty!

Subject: Re: Carbs, problems, running on empty!
From: genfox@hookup.net (Peter D. C. Mann)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 21:47:21 -0400
        Try your carburator floats.  Reach in where the air goes in, and
pull up on the restrictor.  No, I don't know the proper terminology, but try
it anyways.

        If they are hard to move, then the oil is too heavy, if not, then
you are probably okay.  Did you try the coil?  Is it in good shape?  Take a
spark plug, one that is not in the engine.  Plug on the coil lead to it.
Turn over the motor while watching it.  The spark plug must be lying on it's
side, on metal.  This will enable the spark to flow through it.  It should
be bright blue.  If you get a little flicker, then replace your coil.  Do it
in darkness, but it does not have to be pitch black, just a bit in the shade.

        It sounds to me like the carb jets need replacing, however, I would
take an origional set of carbs off an MG, and try them.  If they didn't
work, I'd TOTALLY re-build them, then try again.  I would also test the feul
pump for correct pressure, or just at least that there's the proper amount
being pumped out.

        I'd also check the springs above the carburator pistons for correct
length, and tension.  The type of oil, and spring tension caused this type
of problem for me the last time.

General Fox
At Ease !!!
General Fox