original paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: original paint
From: slindsay@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Steve Lindsay)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 95 20:07:41 MDT
What kind of  paint (lacquer, enamel, ect...) would of originally been
on my 78 MGB?

The bottom half of the car has been repainted
before I acquired it.  There is checking all through that paint.  The
top half has just the original paint on it.  I am sanding the bottom
half all the way to the original primer (and metal here and there).
The top half I am just lightly sanding.  I plan on shooting both
halves with lacquer primer than spot filling and spot re-priming.
I want to use lacquer for the new paint.  I know it is not used very
often any more but it is what I think I would be most comfortable
with.

For you body people out there:  Do you see any problems spraying
lacquer over the original paint?  Although I guess I would really be
spraying onto the primer with the original paint under that.  Why
did the old bottom half paint job check?  I sure don't want
to do that.

Steve