HS2 Floats

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HS2 Floats
From: mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 95 12:12:32 -0500
Hi all -

Sorry to be a bother about this; I know someone asked about the float level in
HS2's.  If there was any response to that question, I missed it.  I just
rebuilt (sorta) my HS2's ('74 Midget, AUD 549 carbs) and I'm not sure the
floats are right.  In fact, I would be shocked if they were.  You see, each
float has a little hole through it, right at the top:
 ___
[ 0 ]  <---Pivot point
[  0]_____________  <---Mystery hole
[__              /
   \            /
    \          /
     \        /
      \      /

       \____/

Thank you for excusing my bad ASCII art.  Now, for some reason I am under the
impression that there is some sort of little spring steel tab that should
attach to the little mystery hole and be what acts on the needle valve.
Suffice to say, there is no such tab on my floats, nor on any of the other HS2
floats I have lying about.  Out of the car, to close the needle valve I have
to tip the floats up past horizontal by maybe 15-20 deg. or so, putting the
float very close to hitting the float bowl lid.  Is this too high?  Would that
explain certain amusing peculiarities in the way the car runs?  Specifically,
I can adjust the carbs too lean (a first!  New jets are cool!) but it will
inevitably backfire through the exhaust on heavy engine braking no matter how
the mixture is set.  Hmmm....
Any advice would be appreciated.

This morning, here in lovely Champaign, IL it was about 40-45 degF and very
sunny.  Coincidentally, I inexplicably awoke about 1.5 hrs. early, so the
Midget and I went for a drive.  I saw two very nice B's, both with tops up
(wimps!) and had a generally lovely time.  Can't beat that spring thing.

Cheers!

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu