Re: Putting rubber bumpers on a chome bumper mg

To: Allen Bachelder <Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Putting rubber bumpers on a chome bumper mg
From: Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.scarolina.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 17:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Allen Bachelder wrote:

> This is a chrome bumpered car that has been converted!  Here are the
> numbers - can anybody shed some light on this?  Body #GBUD 824691,
> Commission number G23D 079157, VIN #GHD5UE 358515.  The door plate says
> 8/74.  I thought that by that time they had switched to rubber bumper.
> This is definitely a chrome bumper body shell: old style fire wall,
> radiator apron, front and rear fenders and valances... the fact that it
> even has a body number... but did this come down the production line
> *after* they began building rubber bumper cars?  It even appears to have
> the higher ride height - I compared it to a known authentic rubber bumper
> GT (sans engine) and the distance from the top of the rear wheel well to
> the ground is the same.

        Strangly enough I found a 72 mgb conv with rubber bumpers
installed where the chrome should have been.  It was on a personally
owned vehicle (PVO) lot at fort jackson.  It seems that owner really
liked the way that the rubber bumpers looked.  the job was a serious
cobble up and I had to pass.

        In looking through back issues of Classic Motor cars I ran
accross a kit to go the opposite way, from rubber bumpers to chrome.
Anyone have any other information on this.  It always seemed a reasonable
enough conversion.

        Rob in Columbia
        72 Mgb
        86 golf