Re: Temp guages

To: Locman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Temp guages
From: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 23:16:20 -0400 (EDT)
>     I get no end of satisfaction riding and wrenching these babys.
>     Does anyone out there have any expirence testing temp guages?
> Mine doesn't respond even to a touch from my 4amp battery charger. The temp
> guage seems to be the most expensive single part in my Victoria British
> Catalogue $ 399.00!  Are they repairable, are there any places that
> recondition them?

This is the best I can offer from my limited experience....
The temp guage is damped (slow to respond) so touching your battery charger
to it probably won't show anything, and may damage the guage.  Basically,
one side of the guage is connected to +12V, the other side gets it's ground
through a thermistor (a resistor that changes value with temperature) screwed
into the block.  Assuming the guage is still installed, I test them by
checking for power on one side of the guage, then connecting a test lamp
from the thermistor lead to ground.  This should make the guage rise about
halfway (slowly) if it is working properly.  Personally, I haven't found a
bad guage yet, just bad sensors.

Good Luck!

Jon S.
swanson@zonker.ecs.umass.edu