Re: Pulling an A powertrain

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulling an A powertrain
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:41:45 -0400
sorry to hear about the layshaft...try calling British Parts and Service,
Hayward, Ca. (510) 783-6487. They're old friends of mine, and know and build
LBC trannys better than anyone else I know, and they *might* have the
layshaft in stock.
Being a long time B owner who has started playing with A's in the past few
years, you have my sympathies on the difference in access and removal of
drivetrains. The B may not be as pretty, but some things make more sense!
You should know (even though it's too late now) that the floorboards DO NOT
have to come out! (I know, where was I a few weeks ago?!)
With a 1/4 drive and extention and universal joint, you can get to the shift
extention bolts without ripping out the interior. going through the shift
lever hole after you remove its' boot.
I don't remember a problem with the trans dipstick, perhaps mine was pre-bent
or someone had dented the tranny tunnel in the right place already.
If the crank pully fouls the rack or the hood latch area, chances are you
have an MGB crank pully on the A. The B pully is cast and sticks out about
1/2 farther from the block then the steel stamped and riveted A pully, and it
is just enought to make it a no-work situation.
As for the trans mounts, mine came out easily enough...either yours have
swollen up due to generous application of automatic-anti-rust fluid dispensed
by the drivetrain, or perhaps mine were worn beyond spec.
Of course, since the A was nearly hand built when it comes to fitting things,
at least compared to the B, "your mileage may vary"