'74 MG Midget - chassis/engine colors

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG)
Subject: '74 MG Midget - chassis/engine colors
From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 08:58:47 -0400 (EDT)
I am doing a complete restoration (spread out over what seems like a 1/4
century...) of a '74 pre-rubber MG Midget.

As part of the restore, I am re-painting all the suspension bits, drive
shaft, engine, gas tank, etc..  What is the proper color?  I started out
using Central Tractor's Implement paint in gloss black, but the gloss just
doesn't look right (very durable paint and primer, btw).

I have an Uncle who does AACA restores on old Chevy's and they get real
specific about the component colors using a semi-gloss finish for most
of the undercarraige components.  I suspect the Midget would have a finish
nearly the same, but the only nice restore I saw used gloss black for all
the parts like air cleaners, heater, etc.  And gloss red for the engine.

If anyone has any suggestions for a particular paint brand/color or a pointer
to a book with paint schemes, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, this car was originally BRG repainted to a non-MG blue.  I'm taking it
down to the metal, so it'll be BRG again one day.

Glenn