Re: '74 MG Midget - chassis/engine colors

To: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@cc.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Re: '74 MG Midget - chassis/engine colors
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 16:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, R Glenn Stauffer wrote:

> I am doing a complete restoration (spread out over what seems like a 1/4
> century...) of a '74 pre-rubber MG Midget.
>
> As part of the restore, I am re-painting all the suspension bits, drive
> shaft, engine, gas tank, etc..  What is the proper color?  I started out
> using Central Tractor's Implement paint in gloss black, but the gloss just
> doesn't look right (very durable paint and primer, btw).
>
> If anyone has any suggestions for a particular paint brand/color or a pointer
> to a book with paint schemes, I'd appreciate it.

PPG (and probably other manufacturers) sell a "flatting" agent that you
add to conventional enamel to reduce the gloss.  You'll need to
experiment to find the level of gloss that looks right to you.  Eastman
sells a "chassis black" that supposedly has the right semigloss finish.
I used spray cans of semigloss black Rustoleum on a lot of chassis parts,
and it looked very nice.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910