re: Glenn - Chassis Paint

Subject: re: Glenn - Chassis Paint
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 13:40:00 PDT

>            Sounds like you REALLY need an EASTWOOD catalog! They have a
>       product called "Chassis Black" that would fill the bill nicely for
>       your requirements.

Perhaps a few words are in order about "chassis black":

Chassis black was originally used by the factory on at least some MGs. I
know this to be true on MMM cars (pre-war) and on the T-series. This was not
a paint, but rather a coating which simply protected the chassis and some
components from moisture.

The difference is that real "chassis black" DOES NOT DRY. It remains tacky.

I had my J2 done with real British chassis black (originality, and all
that). Within the time before the body was put back on, I decided to remove
it all and use an epoxy paint. I have several parts which were never put on
the car, and 12 years later they have still not dried.

So, if you want to be original and absolutely correct (at least for the
earlier MGs) go ahead and use chassis black. But be aware, that the stuff
will never dry and it attracts every bit of dust and road grime you'll ever
drive over. If you want a nice matte finish black finish, try a good quality
and durable PAINT instead.

Regards,
Lew Palmer