RE: Rust Removal

To: Tom LeBlanc <leblanc@gdadmin.ucsb.edu>,
Subject: RE: Rust Removal
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 13:53:00 PDT
Tom -

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. The local Ziebart folks claim
to offer a similar solution. However, their process involves using a
phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly) to convert the rust to an inert (?) deposit on
the surface. It does nothing to remove the material. And, for it to work,
the rust must be exposed. So there can't be any dirt, grease, or paint
covering the rust.

This is probably the same or a similar process. It's probably a good
solution for small to moderate areas, but I'm talking about a whole body,
chassis, wheels, etc. with 36 years of accumulated rust, grease, tar, mud, a
little bit of paint, and who knows what else that needs to be rinsed away.
It just seems that a blasting process or a chemical dip would be the most
satisfactory. However, as I said, the EPA chased the chemical dippers out of
the state and I'm afraid of blasting due to heat distortion, and the
possibility of some gorilla going right through the sheet metal with 200
PSI.

Regards,
Lew Palmer