Re: Conversion to Wire Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Conversion to Wire Wheels
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 13:14:46 -0500
> On Sun, 23 Apr 1995, robert beard wrote:
> > I have just purchased the necessary parts from a 1966 MGB to convert my 1974
> > MGB to wire wheels.
> > I have heard conflicting stories on whether or not I should change the rear
> > axle to the original wire wheels one or simply change the hubs and leave my
> > salsbury axle on the car.
> >
> Thus you should change hubs and axles together.

The whole rear end, as the axle housing is a different length to accomidate the
different 1/2 shafts. You can sometimes swap the shafts only, but you'll end up
with:
1) a different wheel offset (spacing)
2) A 1/2 shaft with either too little, or too much engagement at the diff
splines (depending on whether you go from wire to disk, or vice versa)

RIght now, I've got one disk wheeled car with the narrower wire housing, and
the rear wheels rub on the inside...

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!
                http://warwick.arme.cornell.edu/