TF Brakes & Head questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TF Brakes & Head questions
From: laner@teleport.com (Lane Rollins)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 13:22:21 -0700
Hopefully we can figure the brake problem out before I shoot the TF..... I
put new brake shoes and wheel cylinders on the front of the car and it now
pulls to the left. I've had the drums turned, new brake hoses, flushed the
crudy old brake fluid out of the front brake lines. And yes it still pulls
to the left, and I can get the front left side to lock up. If the cylinders
on the right hand side have been directionally reversed would that account
for the problem? One thought I had on the way to work today was could it be
that the right rear side isn't working at all?

After learning what a pain in the ass it is to do the brakes on a TD/TF in
comparison to an MGA how hard would it be to convert the front brakes to a
MGA drum or disk setup?

And for our third and final question... This Saturday I was doing a ralley
and had the gasket under the rear plate of the head start leaking. I guess
I should tell you that I had the head off this winter because of blown head
gasket and I
replaced all of the gaskets at that time, and that this was the cars first
real work out since then. I tightened the plate a bit and that seemed to
stop the leak, so the question is do I need to change the gasket?

For those who care, we came in 3rd out of a field of about 20 cars, #1 was
a Lotus Elan 1600, #2 was a TR6.

Thanks,
Lane

    /  _______  \         Lane Rollins
   / /  /| ||\\\ \        Milwaukie, Or
  / //\//| || \\\ \       laner@teleport.com
  \ \   || || /// /       '86 Mazda RX7 (Damp Driver)