Wheel Bearings, Studs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel Bearings, Studs
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:30:40 -0400 (EDT)
I need to replace my rear wheel bearings.  I also need a new stud on one
wheel (the one which is there seems to be 1/8" shorter than the others,
which makes one lugnut not seat when I use my alloy wheels.

Does this sound like:

1) Easy as falling off a dog, I can do it with simple hand tools
available from the kitchen and a glance at the Haynes manual.

2) It will take all afternoon and at least one specialty tool (puller).
I could do it the day before a race.

3) Hah!  Probably need a torch, three days, and a master mechanic to fix
it once I screw it up.  I'd better wait until after the race, or even
after Carlisle.

The wheel with the short stud also rocks a small amount when you check
the bearing.... the tech inspector pointed it out at my last autocross.
It's oozing a bit of grease out the hub as well.

Also, all the auto parts stores in my area use the same wheel stud
catalog... which DOESN'T list MG!  Seven is back-ordered.  I'd like to do
the wheel stud at the same time as the bearing.  The stores have lots of
wheel studs, so I should be able to get something very close....

They're disc wheel hubs.

Any tips?   Thanks!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Love is like pi -- natural, irrational, and VERY important.
 --Lisa Hoffmann"