Re: RE : Automatic MG - Dont Knock it!!:)

To: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Subject: Re: RE : Automatic MG - Dont Knock it!!:)
From: dgriffin@ozemail.com.au (David Griffin)
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 06:58:01 +0930
>dgriffin@ozemail.com.au (David Griffin) writes:
>
>>Another point - you can quite easily convert a manual to auto with out
>>destroying or modifying the car its all bolt on

>The Haynes manual says the automatic used in the MGB is a Borg-Warner type
>35.  In what other vehicles was this tranny used?

I'm Not Sure - I could do some homework if you want.

>My thought is that if it's a simple swap between the manual and automatic on
>an MGB, and it's also a simple swap between the manual and automatic on
>whatever other car the B-W 35 is used, then it should also be a simple swap
>between the MGB manual and the <other car> manual.
>
>For instance, if the B-W 35 can also be found a Nissan Foobar, then I should
>probably be able to swipe a 5-speed from a Foobar and slide it into my MGB
>with no hassles.  Yes?  No?

I would doubt it very much Jay,
The transmission has a separate bell housing and while I'm not 100% sure,
I'd reckon it'd be MG specific. Besides why would you want to slip a Nissan
box in an MG any way - a good MKll 4speed with O/D - Beeyoootifuull!!  :)

David