Re: spacesaver spares ....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spacesaver spares ....
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 95 17:23:06 EDT
>> I picked up a spacesaver spare from a SAAB 900 and it bolts on
>beautifully...

> Is the OD pretty close to that of the original spare, or even smaller...

Be very careful with this.  Make sure the spacesaver spare _is_ the same OD
as your other tires.  If it's significantly larger or smaller you will place
horrific stresses on your diff if you have to mount it on a rear wheel.  In
fact it's better to mount the spacesaver spare on front and replace a rear
flat with a fullsize tire from the front.

I saw an econobox axle come apart on the highway once.  The kids driving it
had snows on and had replaced a flat snow tire with the spacesaver.  They
were driving 75mph when it grenaded.

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget, no spare diff)