Re: diff. questions

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu, MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: diff. questions
From: VRHS43A@prodigy.com (MR JOHN H TWIST)
Date: Wed, 03 May 1995 21:57:48 EDT
Some notes about that rear axle "BANJO" diffs

It will leak if it is overfilled -- fill properly by overfilling, then
allowing to drain until it stops dripping with the MGB horizontal -- then
replace the filler plug.
It will leak if the air vent is plugged -- but I've NEVER seen that problem!
It will leak when the front seal fails.  Remove the drive shaft; hold the
pinion flange with a strap drilled to accept two bolts and allow it to come
to a stop on the bottom of the LH battery box.  Use a 1 5/16" (I think)
socket and breaker bar (with cheater bar!) and loosen the nut.  Withdraw
the flange and polish the surface on which the seal rides. Replace the seal
and GREASE the flange and seal.  Replace the flange and tighten the nut
REALLY TIGHT!!!  There is a distance piece which sets up the preload (which
should be about 12lb-in).  More info from my Tech Line 1-2pm EST Daylight
Monday - Thursday at 616 682-0800.  Join the NAMGBR.  John Twist