Re: Repair shops in SF Bay Area

To: TJRC29A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: Repair shops in SF Bay Area
From: Larry Colen <lrcmg@red4est.felton.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 11:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
> We had a major engine fire in our '79 MGB (it burned for
> several minutes before one of the neighbors noticed it).  I
> am now looking for someone in the San Francisco Bay area who
> can do the repairs.
>
> Who can do this work and what experiences have you had with
> them (who is good? and who should I avoid?)?

The repair shops that I'm familiar with are all down in
in the San Jose / Santa Cruz area:
Note, I've never paid anyone else to work on my britcars,
So I know most of these people socially rather than
professionally.

British Motorsports:  (campbell) Good source of parts, now doing repair
work as well.  Shawn Thomas is doing the service work for Dave
(the Owner).  Shawn is also starting up an MG club in  the
San Jose area.  (408)370-7174

EOP Restorations: (Scotts Valley)  James Horrod is a friend of mine.
I met him because he left a flyer for his shop on my car when
he drove past my house.  (living on Hwy 9, a *lot* of local
Britcar folks know my car).  He seems to do reasonable work.
He just did a very nice ground up on a spitfidget.  (It is completely
beyond my understanding why the customer would spend so much
money on a rubber bumpered car).  (408)-438-2277  (GET-CARS)

EOP is next door to Keener Auto-Body who is one of my sponsors.

Emile's sports car center.  (Santa Cruz)  I met Emile when he
came to a driving school I taught at with one of his friends/customers.
Larry, his friend, was my student.  Turns out he lives about a mile
from me.  Emile seems to know and like MG's.  (408)479-1588

H&H (santa cruz)  I've met them on the street a couple of times
because they drive around in a spridget.  They prefer working
on MGs etc. but most of their work these days are Jaguars.
The owners are a couple by the name of hightower.

Putney and Perry (santa cruz)  Used to be THE british car shop
in santa cruz.  Knew more about britcars than did the
dealer.  Don't do so much anymore but often has amazingly obscure
parts still in stock.