Re: Puzzler???

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Puzzler???
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 95 11:21:00 PDT
Re J2 running with cap off:

OK. It was pretty obvious that the car did run. As best as I can explain it,
here's what happened.

The J2 has a positive ground system. If I remember by electrical
engineering, this means that the spark flows from ground (chassis) to the
spark plug center electrode, not the reverse.

Remember that the distributor cap was connected, but laying on the body.
This car has a Lucas Sports Coil which has quite a high voltage. As long as
there is an electrical path between the spark plug wires in the distributor
cap and the center carbon brush (which there was, through the bodywork and
back) spark will be present at one or more of the plugs at the time it is
ready to fire. Apparently, I was getting spark to follow the path of least
resistance at the right times. This might be explained by the presence of
fuel/air mixture in the about-to-fire cylinder, thus lowering the resistance
in that cylinder and causing the correct plug to fire.

I know this tests one's belief in the electron gods. I certainly doubted my
own sanity when it happened. But it did run, and run pretty well!!! I doubt
that I would have had enough power to take it for a spin, however, and I was
certainly not about to grab hold of the body with about 60,000 volts
floating around.

Damnedest thing I ever saw. I only wish I had a witness at the time.

Lew Palmer