Re: Puzzler???

To: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Subject: Re: Puzzler???
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 1995 02:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 12 May 1995, Palmer, Lew (UCI) wrote:

> Re J2 running with cap off:
>
> OK. It was pretty obvious that the car did run. As best as I can explain it,
> here's what happened.
>
> The J2 has a positive ground system. If I remember by electrical
> engineering, this means that the spark flows from ground (chassis) to the
> spark plug center electrode, not the reverse.
>
> Remember that the distributor cap was connected, but laying on the body.
> This car has a Lucas Sports Coil which has quite a high voltage. As long as
> there is an electrical path between the spark plug wires in the distributor
> cap and the center carbon brush (which there was, through the bodywork and
> back) spark will be present at one or more of the plugs at the time it is
> ready to fire. Apparently, I was getting spark to follow the path of least
> resistance at the right times. This might be explained by the presence of
> fuel/air mixture in the about-to-fire cylinder, thus lowering the resistance
> in that cylinder and causing the correct plug to fire.
>
> I know this tests one's belief in the electron gods. I certainly doubted my
> own sanity when it happened. But it did run, and run pretty well!!! I doubt
> that I would have had enough power to take it for a spin, however, and I was
> certainly not about to grab hold of the body with about 60,000 volts
> floating around.
>
> Damnedest thing I ever saw. I only wish I had a witness at the time.
>
> Lew Palmer

1*      60,000 volts ? Try 30,000 on a good day. I work on lots of cars
and I have NEVER seen more that 45,000 volts
2*      If your car runs with out an ignition system in place, it is a DIESEL.
I know this may upset you a bit but if your car runs with out a
distributor cap then it is a compresion igniton engine. (disel). On the up
side you must get GREAT mileage. :-)
        LEX