Smidgin Envy

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smidgin Envy
From: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 9:49:14 -0400
Well, I think that my 1991 Ford Escort GT got a bad case of the Smidgin
envy.   was headed to Bonnet Classics to pick up signal lenses for the
Smidge and the Escort blew a head gasket.  But my Smidgin just keeps
taking care of me.

So, I continue to take care of it!

To that end, I have a few questions.  I'd like to replace the car's coil.
Yes it works fine, but it seems to be a bit tired.  I'd like to install a
GM-style K-Mart coil.

Don't laugh, a number of years ago, Gordon Jennings tested these against
all the other "budget coils" and against all the so-called
high-performance coils, including mercury marine coils. The K-Mart coil,
one of the least expensive in the test, produced the biggest spark at the
widest gaps -- talk about a blue-light special.  To my knowlege, all
coils tested were set up with their recommended ballast resistors if they
weren't integrated into the coil.

Does the standard '67 MG Midget coil have an internal ballast resistor?
If it has an external one, where is it so I can replace it with a new one
to accommodate the coil?  Does it run a ballast resistor at all for that
matter?

Also, for setting valve timing, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to
turn the crank with a wrench without removing the radiator.  If anyone
has some insight on the best way to do this, please let me know.  I fear
that the valves may be pretty far outa whack and need to be brought...
into whack... or something like that.

Also, I just installed a set of Pirelli P300 155/80-13 tires on the
Smidgin.  I like this rubber a lot.  Very quiet, light steering, very
little rolling resistance, and lots o' bite in turns.  BTW -- can I
safely go to 165s on this car on stock spoke wheels?  Will 165s clear the
fenders? Just curious.  I'm impressed at how little tire you need on
these cars.  I run very sticky 205/50-15s on the Escort (blimey heap o'
shite!) and am surprised at what these little tires do when the car
doesn't weigh much!

Cheers,

Andy Ramm

'67 Midget MkIII - The Smidgin

And speaking of Smidgin envy, so is everyone else I know!