Re: starter grinding

To: Douglas Tietz <dwtietz@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: starter grinding
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 11:03:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 16 May 1995, Douglas Tietz wrote:

> I've got a question about starter grinding on a '67 Datsun 1600
> roadster.  I know it's not British, but I figured someone might have had
> the same problem on an lbc.
>
> About one out of five times I try to start my dad's Datsun, the starter
> motor makes a terrible grinding noise.  We pulled out the starter and
> replaced the solenoid, but it still has the same problem.  We also
> measured resistance in the starter, and it appeared normal.  What's going
> on?  Why would it not snap in strong enough?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Tietz

        My first "quess" would be wear on the ring gear. You should
inspect it all the way around for dammaged teeth.

        Now that someone else brought up the subject of datsun cars, I
have a friend (not my only one) that has an very old datsun p/u with a
1200 cc engine he is convinced that it shares many parts with a MG mig.
        If any one knows about this please e-mail me back. His machine
shop lost his distributor drive shaft and the oil pump drive shaft.
:-(((

        Thanks   LEX