Re: starter grinding

To: Douglas Tietz <dwtietz@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: starter grinding
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 18:08:15 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 16 May 1995, Douglas Tietz wrote:

> I've got a question about starter grinding on a '67 Datsun 1600
> roadster.  I know it's not British, but I figured someone might have had
> the same problem on an lbc.
>
> About one out of five times I try to start my dad's Datsun, the starter
> motor makes a terrible grinding noise.  We pulled out the starter and
> replaced the solenoid, but it still has the same problem.  We also
> measured resistance in the starter, and it appeared normal.  What's going
> on?  Why would it not snap in strong enough?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Tietz

It's possible that although the starter windings appear normal, under
load the starter is not rotating fast enough to throw the "inertia cog"
into/onto the flywheel. The intermittency of this problem would indicate
that the starter is probably defective.

Nick Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University