Re: Rear Oil Seals (axle)

To: JOHN WHITEHEAD <WHITEJ@sunynassau.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear Oil Seals (axle)
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 19:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, here are some potential problems:

1) the nut holding the seal on isn't actually the same size as any wrench
I've ever seen.  I used a chisel and hammer to drift the nut around a
fraction of an inch at a time!  The nuts are reverse threaded, just like
wire wheel knockoffs, so make sure you're banging in the right direction! :)

2) There's an O-ring around the inside of the axleshaft and a paper
washer in the same location -- between the studs and the axleshaft.  Make
sure you replace these items when you do the seal!  Also, use a little hi-temp
sealing compound (gasket material) on both sides of the paper when you
refit the axleshaft -- works wonders.

3) The seal goes in counterintuitively.  Oil flows from the differential
out to the end of the axleshaft and then back into the differential -- so
the seal will appear to be backwards when you install it.  Does this make
sense?

4) If banjo-type, have you checked the breather valve on the passenger
side?  If it's dirty, the seal will appear to leak, but it could stop if
you clean the breather valve.

5) If you DO change the seal, why not just do the bearing at the same time...

Hope this helps.

-- Marc
GHN3/8214