Re: Pollution equipment and t...

To: jtilton@vt.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pollution equipment and t...
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 02:22:23 -0400
Jay Tilton suggests a smog control cure:
>Buy and old B and use the car number/VIN plate to replace the >one on your
post-pollution control car.  Presto!  You've got a shiny >"1965" MGB that
looks amazingly similar to a 1980 MGB, a "1980" >MGB that you can send to the
crusher, and nobody should give a >damn what you've got under the hood.
>Plausible?  Traceable?  Legal?  Ya got me, but I'm gonna start >combing
junkyards.

Jay, Jay, Jay...
Illegal, immoral, not politically correct at all,
I Love It
having said that, lets nit over the details
Make SURE that the title of the old car is clean. Better yet is a current
registration, so no "in person DMV inspection" is required to get the car
back on the computer. Out of state cars and cars with long stale
registrations trigger a personal inspection by a Cop or DMV type person in
many states.
Make sure it doesn't have a salvage title. Putting a car with a salvage title
"back on the road" requires an inspection. Now I do know that these people in
DMV seem a bit slow sometimes, but some of them do know cars, and so do some
Cops. Further, even the non-car-fan ones, if they see a car with empty
brackets and places where smog gear used to go they tend to ask annoying
questions, some of which may have to be answered in the presence of a peace
officer....The cure is obvious .... don't get into a registration situation
where an inspection to verify the ID of the car will be required. If it is,
have the old car inspected, if its' condition makes this possible, before you
dispose of it.
VIN plates are harder to get rid of on newer cars, you may have to patch that
hole in the top of your dash with black liquid rubber or get a dash cover.
Touch up with paint, oil and dust those spots in door jambs that have missing
VIN plates, smog plates etc...nothing like a clean, empty spot with 2 empty
rivet holes to attract attention if you get inspected.
Remember that some states get most annoyed at people doing these things,
altering vehicle ID is real close to car theft in their statutes...
Don't do it? No, I didn't say that. More like Don't get caught, and don't
blab about it to your friends!
Enjoy the smog-gear free life!