Re: Pollution equipment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu,
Subject: Re: Pollution equipment
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 08:45:45 -0700
There is one loophole in California's SMOG regs no one has yet mentioned.

Here you are required to have the car SMOGed every other year. If the car is
liscensed and on the road during a year it does not need to be SMOGed, taken off
the road for the year it does need to be SMOGed, it can be licensed the
following year without needing a SMOG test.  You can drive a car every other
year in California without ever having the car SMOG tested.  The division, last
time I looked, is by even and odd last numbers of the license plate number.

Sooooo One posibility is to have two cars, one with even plate one with an odd
numbered plate with registrations due at about the same time.  Drive one for a
year while working on the other then switch at the end of the license year.
Perfectly legal.

I learned this by actually having the MGBGT off the road for a year it needed a
SMOG test and discovering I didn't need it when I got it registered the
following year.

Soooooo Just buy up a pair of very cheap unsnogable cars, get the right plates
on them & register them at the same time.  You can drive your MGB V8 one year
and your TR6 V8 the other year

TeriAnn Wakeman              .sig closed for remodeling
twakeman@apple.com