Re: electrical problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electrical problems
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 08:51:24 -0700
>I would like to know if anyone can tell me why my dash light flikers
>at idle speed?
>The engine idles at 850 RPMS like it's should.
>Any suggestions?

Assuming it's a generator car (why do so few people include the model and
year of their car when asking for advice?) it's perfectly normal for the
light to flicker at idle.  In fact, some come on full time at idle.  The
cause is that the generator output voltage drops below 13V at idle, so the
regulator correctly cuts it out of the circuit.  As soon as you give it
~1000 RPM, it goes above 13V and the regulator cuts it back in.  There is
nothing wrong with the car, as long as it goes out above ~1000 RPM.

Of course, if it's an alternator car, all bets are off!  sf

Stan Fickes             If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless comm., ATG     Safety Fast!
Apple Computer, Inc.    1951 MGTD, under restoration
(408) 974-7653          1965 Sprite, daily commuter