Re: calif smog

To: Johnmowog@aol.com, tj@LOCAL, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: calif smog
From: TJ Noto <tj@giant.sbay.ftp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 95 20:59:50 EDT
On Thursday, June 8th Johnmowog@aol.com wrote:

$
$ re:TJ's 66B smog problem:
$ I used a product by Wynn's this time in my 67, can't for the life of =
me
$ remember what it was, something like "smogcheck", and even though it =
was
$ still running closer to "my way" than "their way" it passed with flying
$ colors. oops, my spelling... _colours_!

<<stuff deleted>>

$ Cure: new diaphram (<$10), new hose piece (2") and clamps, and plumbers=
 putty
$ or tape on all those bolts in the manifold. Also renew all the
$ carb/heatshield/manifold gaskets and the main manifold gasket.
$ With a good tuneup (include valve setting)  and new air filters , your =
car
$ will now run wonderful, and *might* even pass the test.
$ Best of Luck, and, remember these guys come election time....
$

Thanks for the informatino "John".  I didn't go in to excrutiating detail=
 about
the condition of my B. . .but the engine was rebuilt (by me) about 40K =
miles
ago.  Some might opine that it's due for another rebuild after that many =
miles.
. .they might be right!  :)

But seriously, the carbs were rebuilt so the throttle shafts are in great=

shape. . .and everything *should* be up to spec.  It does have the crankc=
ase
breather, and I have not done anything with that. . .I will check it out.

The interesting thing about the way it failed is this:

Bear with me because I'm not a chemist. . .

CA Smog checks involve two emmissions measurements. . . .CO and Hydrocarb=
ons
(dunno the symbol for it HC?)  Anyway, too rich makes CO go UP, too lean =
makes
HC go up. . .so you have to find the point where it's neither too rich =
or too
lean.

But the smog machine only tests the emmisions AFTER the engine has been =
run at
above 3000 RPM for 30 seconds (simulating a real life drive).  Once the =
car
returns to idle it begins to measure the emmisions.  Now BEFORE you run =
the car
at 3000 RPM, the emmissions are well within range.  .it's AFTERWARDS that=
 the
car fails. . .so it must be running either too rich or too lean and the =
excess
emmissions are being created at speed.  I've just not been able to get =
it
dialed in at that point.

You mentions "bolts" in the manifold?  Where are these?  I don't believe =
my
intake or exhaust manifold have any extra bolts in them that I've seen =
(of
course, it's been a while since I've spent any time under the bonnet, =

shamefully).

Thanks again for the advice, and if you remember the name of that magical=

potion please let me know.

Regards,
teej

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark"-J. Lucas