Re: calif smog

To: Johnmowog@aol.com, tj@LOCAL, tj@LOCAL, BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: calif smog
From: TJ Noto <tj@giant.sbay.ftp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 09:16:59 PDT
On Tuesday, June 13th Johnmowog@aol.com wrote:

>> I do believe that the name of the magic smog potion was Wynns
Smogcheck.

Hmm. . .I'll have to look for it.

>> If you look around the top and sides of your intake you will
*probably* find
>> a couple of bolt heads run into it at unlikely places. Also the
breather
>> where it goes into the manifold...that hose AND fitting can leak,
causing a
>> vacuum leak, causing that little misfire that helps us all flunk the
test.

Right, the only smog equipment on the 66 cars is the crankcase breather.
The rubber diaphram can become "perished" and that can lead to the thing
not working properly. . .I cleaned and re-assembled mine. . .it looks ok.

>> Since you pollute after the 3krpm run, check ignition parts Carefully
>> for : weak condenser, point adjust or pit, plug wires, coil weak, etc.
Also
>> start with new plugs, either NGK or Bosch Platinums, get the right
heat
>> range. Make sure your valves are *really* adjusted right too. Good
Luck

Will do. . .thanks. . .ironically enough. . .I took her out for a
full-moonlight drive the other night. ..it hadn't begun raining again
then, and the weather was nice.  Humming over Page Mill Road, admiring
the moon and the mountains I was really enjoying driving the little car.
It was with renewed interest that I began planning my
long-awaited restoration of the old girl. . .moments later Officer
Friendly pulled me over for having expired tags.   "Well, yeah but. . .I
already paid the reg fees it's just the smog. . .but. ..please don't give
me a fix-it ticket.. . .please?  please?"

Sigh. . .

Yesterday I went to O'Connor's at lunch to buy a car cover for her.  Went
home and covered the recently washed car up and felt good about finally
having something to keep the cats and bird droppings off..

Woke up this morning and it was raining. . . sigh again. ..sometimes you
just can't win.

Cheers,
teej

tj noto         palo alto       ca      usa
1966 mgb
"Once again Yankee ingenuity triumphs over British craftsmanship"