Re: Valve cover paint

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Valve cover paint
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:30:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 10 Jun 1995, Jay Tilton wrote:

> Quickie question.  What type of paint should I use for the valve cover on my
> 77 MGB?  Will regular old Krylon do it, or would I be better off using
> hi-temp paint?  Something else?
> --
> Jay Tilton
> jtilton@vt.edu

My valve cover, in fact the whole engine, still looks nice after 3 years
(not a lot of miles, though).  It was sprayed with Moss engine paint over
bare metal.  Perhaps the most important thing would be to ensure that the
valve cover was clean and oil free before spraying it--I used spray
carburetor cleaner.  Watch out, though, the stuff can almost remove paint,
so you don't want to use it on the engine in situ where it can overspray
onto the car body.

I once painted a chevy V8 with 2 or three coats of ordinary red enamel
applied with a brush; it held up well.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910