Re: aftermarket radiator fans

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aftermarket radiator fans
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 18:00:03 -0800
> It's time to join the 20th century now that it's almost over.  Who
> makes and where do I find a thermostatically controlled electric
> radiator fan that will mount to the radiator of my '67 MGB?  Thanks
> in advance for all advice on this issue.
>
> Denise Thorpe

I tried that on my '67 B, but it didn't work very well, so I reverted
to the belt driven one (although I did move up to one of the yellow
plastic variety from a later 'B). When I had my radiator recored,  the
shop installed a fitting for a sensor to control my new electric fan .
I fabricated a bracket (too much vibration to attach directly to the
radiator) and installed a 10" Bosch fan that was intended as an
auxiliary unit for a Mercedes Benz with air conditioning.
It never did cool properly. At low speed it didn't seem to push
sufficient air, and at high speed it blocked the flow of ram air coming in
through the grill. My temperature gauge always indicated 190F or
higher, until I removed the Bosch fan. Now it never runs over 180F.
A better alternative would be a "flex fan," with blades which flatten
at higher RPM, but no one seems to make one with a center hole large
enough to fit my water pump shaft.

Jerry Causey
antiques@whidbey.com
Jerry Causey