Re: Aftermarket Radiater Fan

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Radiater Fan
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 15:43:35 -0500 (CDT)
UHLSTEVENS@msuvx2.memphis.edu writes:
>       I recently bought a '78 MGB that already had an aftermarket fan
> installed.  [ ... ]
>
> I think this is a good setup if you need a fan that turns on only when the
> radiater is hot.  Good for winters when you want heat fast.

Ahem.  Engine warmup time does not depend on what kind of fan your car
has.  The coolant doesn't even reach the radiator until the thermostat
opens, at which time the engine is at (or close to) normal operating
temperature.

The only possible exception that I can think of is airflow from a
mechanical fan flowing over the engine block, but I imagine this to be
negligible.  And, of course, it helps if you _do_ have a thermostat...

In other news, I painted one of my Rostyles the other night.  The flat
black section looked good, so I masked it off and resprayed the silver.
The only problem was my inability to remove the balance weight (how do
you get those off?), but I just sprayed over it for now.  It's amazing
what fresh-looking wheels can do to the overall appearance of a car!

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer