Re: To B or not to B, more Qs

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: To B or not to B, more Qs
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 14:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

> Ray,
>       If you say the engine is an 18GH, then I would respond that the
> reason you can't find the timing mark on the crank pulley is because the
> timing mark is on the bottom of the pulley.  Get under the car and look
> up and you will see the timing marks, both on the engine side and on the
> crankshaft pulley.  Commonly people think that their crank pulley and
> engine are missing any timing marks, but that's because they're invisible
> from the top.  Even though the crank turns, the marks on the pulley
> aren't visible from the top because they only appear on the bottom. Kind
> of like how we only see 51% of the surface of the moon.  It has something
> to do with the rotation of the earth relative to MGB crank pulleys.

Do you *know* for a fact that the mark is on the bottom, or is this an
unsupported bit of speculation, for which Martin Frankford will (with
some justice, I might say) take you to task in no uncertain terms?

Anyhow, I must not have made myself clear.  I thought of that, but that
would be perverse even for British Phlem-Sucking Leyland, since the
steering rack and other stuff would make the marks well nigh impossible to
see.  ANYway, I figured I would outsmart B(PS)L, so I put the timing light
on, found the groove in the pulley with the strobe, and figured the
corresponding fixed marks would be somewhere near by.  If you imagine that
the crankshaft pulley is a clock attached to the front of the crank, and
you are in front of the car looking at it, the pulley mark is at
approximately 10 o'clock when the #1 plug fires.

I cannot see any fixed marks in the general vicinity.  If the fixed marks
are on the bottom, then the timing is about 120 degrees off.  (Actually,
it idles as if that were so [warning to the literal minded, I am
exaggerating.])

Below the equator, do the engines in cars reverse their direction of
rotation?  Do folks down under have one forward speed and several speeds
in reverse?

Ray "Circling the brain drain" Gibbons