Bowie Brit day

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bowie Brit day
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:42:50 -0400
Went to the Bowie show for about 4 hours.  It was very interesting.
Between the short showers and stepping over those with heat stroke,
saw a great selection of brit cars.  Why don't I see any TVR's (or is
it TRV's) on this list or even on the road?  Beautiful interiors,
those.  Of course, coming from a 67 MGB owner who keeps all the rugs
stripped out to avoid rust, anything looks better.
Saw a great yellow jag 4 door for sale, wife got very excited.
Didn't have my magnet to test for bondo, and figure one brit car to
keep running was enough, so we eased on over to the old, huge MK 4
through MK 10's.  Wine glasses on the little fold down trays, and of
course grey poupon (spelling?) mustard set out.
One guy, really showing off the work he had done, had laid about 5
mirrors under his MGB, two on each side and one in the front, so the
lookers and judges could see the beautiful work from the underside!
Everyone did a double take, cause it looked at first like he had dug
holes under there.
The officials will tell you what all was there, but the early TD and
TC models were quite numerous and very nicely done.  Yes, showing my
MG tilt, but they did really knock me over, as always.  Must be my
english half.  I must have missed the Lotii coral, didn't see any of
those but the one driving downs the walk.  Heard, "I would rather be
run over by one of those that be grazed by a Chevy!"
Didn't try the food, but the non-british beer was cold...and
tasteless (brand names shall be left out due to their embarrassment),
and the vendors of parts were everywhere.  Some new, some good
used...but can you ever really get an SU carb working again when the
spindle is missing and years of rust clog the bore?  Even honing it
out would make the standard spindle too loose in there.  Oh well.
Hope to make it next year, but will never enter the judging...how do
they get those paint jobs so perfect and deep and shiny???
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||