Re: Midget Brakes

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Midget Brakes
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:46:17 EDT
Gary Watson@aol.com wrote
>MG4EVR@aol.com wrote:  "I just put a new master cylinder in my 73 midget, and
>am not getting any
>fluid to the rear brakes.  I bled them for an hour and still can't get any
>fluid to the rears. The fronts beld out perfectly, any helpful hints out
>there?"
>
>I took my Midget to the local British repair shop for diagnosis.  The
>repairman found that the rear brake lines were completely plugged with some
>sort of black tar-like substance.  I ended up replacing the flexible portion
>of the line and the rear wheel cylinders as a safety precaution.  The shoes
>were also shot and they were replaced too.  The repairman couldn't offer any
>explanation of the blockage.
>
>Now the brakes work fine.  I'd like to know what caused this blockage so I
>can't try to avoid it in the future.  By the way, I'm using silicon brake
>fluid.  Does anyone think that that could have played a part in this
>situation?
>
>Perplexed as usual,

In the UK there have been problems with silicone brake fluids apparently
attacking the seals in very old, ie pre 65, brake systems. All modern seal
materials should be safe with silicone fluids. However, remember that normal
organic based brake fluid with absorb(spelling?) H2O chemically and prevent
corrosion while silicone and mineral fluids do not appear to do so.

Also, how new is your 'new' master cylinder - some stock can sit on a suppliers
shelfs for years before being sold, the seals in your 'new' cylinder could have
failed!

Hope your on the road soon,

Dave Brooke

76 1500 midget (Rubber Bumper)