Re: Midget Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget Brakes
From: "Roger Garnett" <Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 12:29:25 -5000
> MG4EVR@aol.com wrote:  "I just put a new master cylinder in my 73 midget, and
> am not getting any fluid to the rear brakes.

This one did not state whether there was air, or no flow/hard pedal.

GARYCINE@aol.com writes:

> I had a new master cylinder put on my 1977 Midget a few months ago.
> suddenly a couple of weeks ago my brake pedal got really hard to press
> and started working up higher than it had been before.  When we got to
> the rears, nothing would come out.  When the bleed nipple was opened all
> the way the pedal would not go to the floor.

> the rear brake lines were completely plugged with some sort of black
> tar-like substance.

This is a common failure- the black stuff is the old hoses disolving, from
age & who knows what brake fluids. Nothing to do with silicone tho- I've
seen some lines that were turned totally to goo after sitting around long
enough. After 20-30 years, it's time to replace all the rubber bits in any
brake system!

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!