Re: New B owner with a few problems!

To: adam@c-comm.demon.co.uk (Adam Dabrowski)
Subject: Re: New B owner with a few problems!
From: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 95 8:02:00 PDT
Hey Adam...

I too am a new MGB owner.  I've got a 72 MGB/GT.

> Erratic Indicators
> ------------------
>
> Both left and right indicators flash erratically, sometimes sticking 'on'.
>The
> pause between flashes varies, usually (but not always) speeding up if I rev
>the
> engine.  Left and right usually flash at different rates.  The hazard warning
> lights function correctly.  Can anybody tell me how to fix this?

I had a similar problem.  I had to replace the flasher units for both the
turn signals, and the emergency flasher.  Also, I pulled off all of the light
covers, pulled out the lights, and checked the contacts.  Some of them were
_really_ worn and corroded.  I replaced two of them, and fixed one of the backup
lights.  Oh yah, there were also some bad connecters in the wiring harness in
the front of the car where the horns and lights hook up.

Replacing the flasher units is relatively cheap ($2 each.)  In my 72, one was
located under the right side of the dashboard, and the other was behind
the center console.  I'm not sure about a 78 though.  Also, I need to take my
flasher switch apart, and clean it out, as it functions intermittently.
So, basically, I checked all the connections, replaced bad parts, and voila,
they worked.

> Noisy Clutch

I don't really have any ideas on this one, except that something needs to
be fixed!  (Ok, so I tend to state the obvious!)

Dave Hall
dhall@vcd.hp.com