old Calif plates.

To: asmith@BayNetworks.COM, fickes@taurus.apple.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: old Calif plates.
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 95 08:43:14 -0700
In message <9507060000.AA07929@milliways-le0> Andrew Smith writes:

> I'd heard of the DMV rule that, if you got hold of some plates from the year
> of
> original registration, you could ask to use them but they had to be of the
> correct year. Does that mean that rule cannot ever work for black plates on a
> pre-'64
> car? Did they give out new reg numbers on the new plates or did they keep the
> old
> numbers and just change the colour?
> Can I try to find a set of (black) plates from a car that was originally
> registered in '60 but which turned them in and got black plates in exchange
> in '64?

California plates had the year stamped on the plates and were replaced every
year until '57.  After '56 DMV issued year stickers to put on the plates.

In '64 California went from the yellow plate with black lettering and '56 in the
corner to a black plate with yellow lettering.  At that time they required all
the old plates to be turned in when the new ones were issued.  Since then
California went to the blue with yellow then the white reflective plates without
requiring people with old plates to surrender their old plates.  Therefore you
can see older cars still on the roads with the black and the blue plates.

California likes to make $$$ on the sale of plates and has issued several
special plates from the vanity plates, to the new picture plates to survivors of
Peral Harbor and so on.  They have Horsless carrage plates for the old cars and
historical plates for classic cars 25 years of age or older.  These last two
plates only cover a car being used exclusivly for hobbiest activities or
maintenence.  It does not allow a car to be used on the road for non-hobbiest
uses.  I have had historical plates on my Land Rover for over 10 yers now, have
used it as an everyday car and have never been stopped for improper use of a
hobbiest car.

The year of original registration program allows hobbiests who have restored
clasic cars to have license plates from the original year or the car's
registration.  Unlike the historical plate, this is a regular license allowing
unlimited use on the roads. What you need to do is obtain a good set of license
plates for your car's year of manufacture that has a number that is not in
curent use and present them to the DMV.  If the caris newer than 1956, the
license plate must have the correct year registration sticker affixed and in
good condition.  For a one time fee of $27 DMV will allow you to use that plate
for your car.

There is a thriving business for good condition old plates.  A very good
condition set of plates for my '61 TR3 would go for about $200, with a good
condition set going for about $150

TeriAnn Wakeman              .sig closed for remodeling
twakeman@apple.com