Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 10:35:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Todd Mullins wrote:

> Small correction:  The fuel gauge and the temp gauge, at least on the
> later cars, are fed a constant 10V from the (you guessed it) voltage
> stabilizer mounted under the dash.

Even smaller correction... the voltage stabilizer is a "chopper", and so
bounces between 12V and nothing.  The resulting output is not constant,
but drives a heavily damped or bimetallic meter to the same degree a
constant 10V source would. (Sorta like "RMS" power).

> I don't remember if the original poster's car is recent enough to have
> this doojiggy or not...

I think cars back into the 50s did...

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Quantized Revision of Murphy's Law:
   Everything goes wrong all at once."