Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.

To: mgs@autox.team.net, jtrindle@tsquare.com
Subject: Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 08:31:45 -0400
> John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com replies...
> All this is fine (esp. if you can calibrate the voltage regulator to
> >exactly< the equivalent of the stablizer)

With a potentiometer you can easily make the regulator output
adjustable if you must. Because of the design there is much variation
from stabilizer to stabilizer.

> but 1) why?  The stabilizer is a pretty sturdy component..

Is it??

>and 2) It's not "original"...

True, for this reason I do not use one but the original poster asked
about using a zener diode to replace the stabilizer, this seems to be a
better replacment.

> Then you also miss the excitement of plugging the tach into the chopped
> voltage instead of 12v....

This is exciting??

> Anyway, the hard part is figuring out the steady-voltage equivalent.

It is pretty straight forward. You start the car and connect a
voltmeter to the output of a working stabilizer and the needle
indicates the steady voltage equivalent. (The digits display the steady
voltage equivalent if you have one of them new fangled digital Volt
meters)

>  We say 10v but it might be 9.6v or whatever... the gauges and senders are
> calibrated around this power source.

Even if you if you were off by 0.4V that is only a 4% error. 240 RPM
error on the tach at 6000 RPM, 1/25 of a tank on the fuel gage, 8
degrees on the temp gage (if it is electric) at 190, 3 lbs on the oil
pressure (also if electric). Do you think any of these gages are that accurate
to begin with??

- -Comments Welcome??

- -Mark    = =o&o