Re: Re: Choice of fuel

To: Cindy Jizmagian <Cindy_Jizmagian@bcsmac.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Choice of fuel
From: "Thomas E. Britt" <rasputin@gate.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 18:03:18 -0400 (EDT)
On 21 Jul 1995, Cindy Jizmagian wrote:

> Someone correct me but wasn't the term `White Gas' use to refer to unleaded in
> the 60's??

> When I was a boy (I am now 57) white gas was used to refer to gas used
in outboard motors and in cooking or eating for home use--though I am not
completely sure what it was. When AMOCO began selling unleaded gas, the
local people started calling it white gas, too. So, popularly, white gas
meant unleaded AMOCO (in Florida, anyway). I used it in my 57 MGA, and I
was surprised to find that AMOCO was called Standard in other parts of the
South at that time. So I think that the term "white gas" is older than unleaded
gasoline, but certainly people I then thought of as old fogies called it
white gas, for sure. (The old fogies were younger then than I am now,
alas)!  Tom Britt

rasputin@gate.net

                  The future is not what it used to be...

        Look Busy!!!        (       _ +++_