hail damage to rag top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: hail damage to rag top
From: HY FREEDMAN - 6036 <HFREEDMAN@mtroyal.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:48:37 -0600 (MDT)
To the kind people on the list, - on my part perhaps a bit of venting,
some anger, from you - useful comments appreciated;

Part of Calgary, Alberta received a severe hail storm last week (the
part of Calgary directly above my 66 B).  The top could be about 20 or
more years old, but was not too bad, some sewing of rips, etc, but
with a completely new rear sealed in plastic window that cost $129
about one month ago (all $$ here Canadian).

Hail created holes in the vinyl, one as big as my fist.  So off to the
insurance adjuster.  Well, one quote for a new top (adjusters recommended
repair shop) was for approx $135 labour and $350 for the roof.  So with the
$100 deductible, and 75% (yes !!! aghhhhh !!!) depreciation on the top
I will come up with about $220 from insurance for a $485 top, on which
I had just spent $129 for the window.

it's a reasonably quite good mechanically sound 66 B which needs a lot
of body work (perhaps a total restoration), but is driven daily in the
summer.  What with brand new tires, and the top, very good mechanical
condition, should I continue this piecemeal approach, or go all the
way for a body restoration as well?  BTW, I'm second owner, always
been a dry (except for hail storms !!) Calgary car, but after 30 years
some good rust.  BTW, BTW the dry climate here meant that the old
stiff top did not stand up to the hail as much as a softer newer top
would have.

comments, suggestions, tips, tricks or whatever are appreciated,
particularly from anyone who knows how to deal with insurance
adjusters on matters such as this.

thanks very much to you all, I feel better already !!  and will start
to calculate the $$$ benefits of driving this car (pleasure etc) as
opposed to the $$ of costs (if that is possible !!
Y. H. ("Hy") Freedman - Director, School of Business and
Entrepreneurial Studies at Mount Royal College.
voice: 403 - 240 - 6036 (MRC) fax: 403 - 240 - 6664 (MRC)
voice/fax: 403 - 850 - 0661 (Personal, call first for Fax)
Post Address: 4825 Richard Road S.W., Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T3E 6K6
InterNet:       HFREEDMAN@MTROYAL.AB.CA