Re: Where's the Rain Coming In

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Where's the Rain Coming In
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 09:29:31 GMT
I had a similar problem with my '77 midget. I checked the windscreen seal,
all the hood, all the window seals etc.  The rain seemed to be coming in behind
the dash somewhere, but could I find where ?

Eventually I found a little hole in the panel above the passenger side
(left side over here) footwell.  Rain was dripping into the engine bay and
running down here, through the hole, the along behind the dash to come out
on my legs and my passengers legs. So I sealed that hole.

That was only one of the sources however, the problem still happened if
driving into fast rain.  The next thing I got was a blocked windscreen washer
jet.  When I put the new one on (the old one fell apart coming off)  I realised
that the old one was not tight, and the gasket was trashed. That little gap
was where the water was coming in.

So : check firstly the engine bay around the footwells and behind the dash.
           secondly the washer jets and windscreen wiper outlets for good
                rubber seals.

It surprised me just how much water could get in through a barely visible little
hole.  But then this is England !!

Andy

"These cars are not made to be driven are they - just worked on"

"You know, time was when you were happy just....to *get* there!"