Re: Colortuning problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Colortuning problems
From: Kevin Sullivan <Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 08:26:46 -0500 (CDT)
Thanks to all who have helped with my colortuning problem: colortune said
rich when mix was obviously lean.  And thanks especially to Adrian
Jefferies for the correct answer: plug wires' resistance was too high.
In checking the ignition components, I'd just done a visual inspection of
them and missed the fact that they needed replacement.

The colortune will show yellow if you're not getting enough spark to get
a good burn.  So I put on new wires last night and wow!  It was a breeze
to set the mixtures a la "lift the pin" this morning before driving to
work.  (The sunrise was too bright to use the colortune so I'll use it to
fine tune tonight.)  The car ran great on the drive to work.  _Smooooooth_.

By the way, is the MGA coil wire stranded steel?  I cut off the end and
reused the old one because I didn't know if the newfangled carbon core
type wire will work on the funky cold Lucas coil type connection.  I
didn't try it last night but I may later, as the coil wire's resistance
is about 12K.  It's of odd construction: looks like a short length of
stranded from the coil, then a cylindrical connector which may contain a
resistor, then a short length of "spark plug wire" to the cap.

Thanks again to everyone.  Can't wait to get off work and drive!

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Nichols Research Corp.
Shalimar FL USA