Re: ftp to Team.Net

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ftp to Team.Net
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 10:39:25 -5000
Engstrom Par, Bergslag writes:

> This is the result of my fruitless attemts
> to login to the ftp archives.

Currently, ftp on the Team.Net server is shut down, since sometime last
week. It ought to come back up sometime after mjb gets back from his
vacation/VTR convention, and fixes whatever is wrong. But, in your case:

> I've tried for months.... .....after "entered getreply" i'm supposed to
> get something like this from the remote server,,,,,220 jorma FTP server

The Team.Net server is behind what's called a firewall- software designed
to limit some kinds of outside access. Many users whose systems are also
behind a firewall can not get through, due to one not talking to the other
correctly. This has been an ongoing problem- In every case I've heard so
far, it only affects access from systems that are behind a firewall, but
not all systems with fire wall protection, and not anyone with "clear
access". This may be due to a configuration problem at one end, or simple
incompatibility.

We'd be happy to hear from anyone who has any other ideas.

For now, the only solution is for you to access a system with no firewall,
and then connect to ftp.team.net from there. (After it comes back up, of
course.)

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!