Late MGBGT overdrive

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Late MGBGT overdrive
From: Werner Haussmann <whauss@pmoxsrv1.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 21:22:14 MDT
If this has been discussed before, please send me a copy of any helpful
information.  I am new to the list.

I have a 74 1/2 MGBGT with overdrive.  After about 10-15 miles, the overdrive
'automatically' goes into overdrive.  It works just fine when first starting
out.  Other symptoms are;
   * When under load it switches back out of overdrive (normal, no OD)
   * When overunning the engine it goes into overdrive in all gears (even first)
   * I get stuck in parking spaces because I loose reverse after driving for
     a while.
   * Everything is back to normal after about a half hour of inactivity.

Because it works when first starting out, I hope not to pull the engine.  After
all the gears, clutch, etc should be OK. Don't you think?

The oil level is OK. I use the engine oil, the green British stuff, for
the transmission.  The solenoid is OK.

I sure would like not to have to pull the engine and would appreciate
any help.

Werner