Re: speaking of ODs and driveshafts

To: gcram@wdni.com
Subject: Re: speaking of ODs and driveshafts
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 15:19:51

>Years ago, when I was young and really foolish, I bought what I understood
>to be a complete, later model OD trans "kit" to put in my 66B.  After going
>back and having to buy the later rear engine plate and assorted bracing as
>well, then lengthening (ow!) the shifter opening in the tunnel...

You didn't need to change the rear engine plate. But, it does require welding a
nut to it to accept the
starter bolt. May need to modify starter area of trasmission slightly as well.
As far as lengthening the
shifter opening in the tunnel goes. you can now buy an adapter for this purpose
from Doug Jackson,
British Automotive, Novato, CA. Takes all the guess work out of it.

>Except that the original drive shaft was a hair too long for the new box...

I'm not sure I understand this. Moss lists a 30" shaft std and a 31.125" for
O/D for banjo type rear
axles. On the tube type axle 31.125" for std and 32.00" for O/D to S/N 138400.
From S/N 138400
on, you use 31.125" for everything. So if anything I would think that the shaft
would have been to
short. Unless, you tried the 32" saft with a banjo rear axle.

Dick :>)
Have MG will travel