Re: Bypass oil filters

To: Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Bypass oil filters
From: woof@ott.hookup.net (Steve MacSween)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 17:52:56 -0500
(If I am missing the answer here, please accept my excuses, but what was
the question (both figuratively and literally, as I think maybe I missed
the initial post)?

Well, if you want to buy my snake oil farm in Florida, that's next up.

I mean, sorry to be crusty, but for heaven's sake, what is the bloody issue
with regular oil and filter changes?? I am on three car lists, and these
"long-life" oil and/or filter debates seem to come up as regularly as sin
in a whorehouse. What is the issue with paying to throw some oil into a
car? I have seen CONCOURS cars with sludge in the crankcase and brake fluid
that looks like it went in at the factory, 23 years before.

Fantasies of some marketing types (and members of SAE also, I should add)
aside, there is no arrangement whereby either fossil-based or synthetic oil
can be run to 25,000 miles in an internal combustion engine, not if you
still want it to lubricate anything after about 8-10,000 miles. And I don't
care if the filtration arrangement says "NASA" on the side, or whatever,
it's simply outside the capabilities of the product, synthetic or not.

Oh, you can leave the oil in, all right.... and you'll have all the bypass
that you can handle, off the poor filter after a while.  I worked for  a
car rental franchise years ago, and they NEVER changed the oil until the
car was sold, with an assurance to some sucker about how carefully we had
maintained it. You don't need synthetics for that trick, I saw a Ford F350
truck to 35,000 miles with no oil or filter change before the engine gave
up. (Though by that time it was doing a quart per 200 miles anyway, so it
was getting plenty of fresh one way or another.)

woof@ott.hookup.net
steve macsween
ottawa, canada